Stormwater & Erosion Control Requirements - Jones Township

Go to content

Main menu:

Stormwater & Erosion Control Requirements

Building Code Dept. > UCC/Permit Instructions

Jones Township Stormwater Requirements

In the spring of 2011 Jones Township, as well as all Elk County municipalities, adopted model stormwater ordinances.  These Ordinances were adopted to insure that stormwater is properly discharged without causing excessive runoff, erosion and flooding.  The Ordinance requires all projects to comply with the Pa. DEP BMP Manual.


The Township will now be requiring Stormwater Management Permits  for certain construction activities involving land development or earth disturbance activity that may affect stormwater runoff.  The extent of any required stormwater plan is dependent upon the area of impervious area created as indicated by the following chart:  

New Impervious Area*

Applicant Submission Requirements

0 SQ FT  < 1000 SQ FT

No Plan Required

> 1001 SQ FT  but < 2500 SQ FT

Small Project  Application Required

> 2501  SQ FT but < 5000 SQ FT

Volume Control and Small Project  Application Required

>5001 SQ FT

Peak Rate Control, Volume Control, and Stormwater Management Site Plan


Note: New Single Family Residential Dwellings situated on a single lot are exempt from the above requirements when:

Ø  All buildings are setback a minimum of 75-feet from all downslope property lines

Ø  Driveway stormwater runoff is discharged onto a pervious surface with a gravel strip or other spreading device

Ø  No more than 1000 SQ FT of paved or concrete surface discharges stormwater to any single point.

In addition the above Stormwater requirements, The Pa. Dept of Environmental Protection  also requires additional Erosion & Sedimentation Permits.    Additional information can be found at the Pa. DEP Stormwater website.


·         All earth disturbance activities, including those that disturb less than 5000 sq. ft., must implement and maintain E&S controls.

 E&S controls, from the Best Management Practices Manual is available HERE and on the state DEP website:

·         A written E&S Control Plan is required to be on site if the total disturbance is greater than 5000 sq. ft. or if the project site is has the potential to discharge to stream designated as High Quality (HQ) or Exceptional Value (EV) regardless of the amount of earth disturbance.


·         An NPDES Permit is required if one (1) acre or more of earth will be disturbed.


You must contact the County Conservation District to determine these requirements and obtain these E&S Permit approvals before other municipal permits being can be approved.


ü  Elk County Conservation District:  814-776-5373

ü  Cameron County Conservation District: 814-486-9302

ü  McKean County Conservation District:  814-887-3234


It is the responsibility of both the property owner and contractor to ensure compliance with these E&S requirements.  Additional state or federal permits maybe required if any construction occurs  near or along streams, ditches, storm sewers, ponds, wetlands and other surface water.  Contact the appropriate Conservation District for more information.

Copyright 2015. All rights reserved.
Back to content | Back to main menu